- Update: Administrator Certification Training Requirements
- New Fee Structure Notice: Exams and Certificate Processing
- Administrator Certification Examination
- Notice: Change in Distribution Method of Administrator Certificates
- Notice: Delinquency Fee
- Notice: Continuing Education Units (CEU)
- Resources: Administrators
- Resources: Training Vendors
- Resources: Application
Update to the ACS Mailing Address
Please be advised that the ACS Mail Station (MS) address has changed:
Community Care Licensing Division
Administrator Certification Section (ACS)
744 P Street, MS 9-15-807
Sacramento, CA 95814
Administrator Certification Training Requirements
The COVID-19 waivers related to course offerings for Initial Certification Training Program (ICTP) and Continuing Education Training Program (CETP) ended February 28, 2023. To support greater access to training opportunities for current and prospective Administrators, the Administrator Certification Program (ACP) will allow vendors who were previously approved through the State of Emergency (SOE) Waiver Terms and Conditions, to resume live instruction (live-stream) through online platforms effective April 1, 2023.
As a result, current and/or prospective Administrators may fulfill required live instruction hours either in-person or live-stream from an approved vendor. If an administrator chooses to access a live-stream course, the course must be offered by an ACP vendor who has been approved by ACP to specifically provide livestream instruction. You may access ACP-approved vendors on the Administrator Certification Section website. Be advised that ICTP and CETP training requirements still apply and include, but are not limited to, the number of hours as noted below:
ICTP Requirements (must be conducted live, whether in-person or live-stream)
- Group Home (GH): 40 hours
- Short-Term Residential Therapeutic Program (STRTP): 40 hours
- STRTP with valid GH certificate issued by the Department: 12 hours
- Adult Residential Facility (ARF): 35 hours
- Residential Care Facility for the Elderly (RCFE): 80 hours, 20 of which may be completed via self-paced/on-demand training
- RCFE-NHA: 12 hours with a valid Nursing Home Administrator (NHA) license issued by the Department of Public Health
CETP Requirements (at least half of which must be conducted live, whether in-person or live-stream)
- GH: 40 hours
- STRTP: 40 hours
- ARF: 40 hours
- RCFE: 40 hours
- RCFE-NHA: 20 hours with a valid NHA license issued by the Department of Public Health, 20 of which may be completed via self-paced/on-demand training
Stay Informed: Fee Increases for Administrator Examinations and Certificate Processing
PIN 21-11-CCLD – (Changes to Administrator Certification Program Fees)
In accordance with Assembly Bill (AB) 135, an increase to the Administrator Certification Program fees is effective July 1, 2023. The fee changes include new fees for the administrator certification examination and increases to existing fees for processing new and renewal Administrator certification applications. Refer to PIN 21-11-CCLD for additional information about fee changes.
Administrator Certification Application Fees
The non-refundable fees for processing initial and renewal administrator certification applications are as follows:
These fees reflect an annual 10 percent increase from the base fee ($100), not to exceed a total of 40 percent over a four-year period.
- Year 1: Effective July 1, 2021
- Initial Application: $110
- Renewal Application: $110
- Year 2: Effective July 1, 2022
- Initial Application: $120
- Renewal Application: $120
- Year 3: Effective July 1, 2023
- Initial Application: $130
- Renewal Application: $130
- Year 4: Effective July 1, 2024
- Initial Application: $140
- Renewal Application: $140
Administrator Certification Examination Fees
The non-refundable fee for the administrator certification examination is as follows: The administrator certification examination fee is $100 and includes three (3) attempts.
The ACS has developed Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) resources on fees for administrator applications and the administrator certification examination. If you have any questions regarding fee increases, please submit your questions to the corresponding e-mail address listed below:
Notice: Change in Distribution Method of Administrator Certificates
Prospective and renewing administrators must include their e-mail address on their Application for Administrator Certification, form LIC 9214 to ensure delivery of their administrator certificate via e-mail.
Beginning July 1, 2021, the ACS will distribute administrator certificates in a locked portable document format (PDF) via e-mail to certified administrators with an e-mail address on file. Administrators without an e-mail address on file will receive a hard copy certificate by mail.
The ACS has addressed this in PIN 21-09-CCLD - Administrator Certification Section: Change in Distribution Method of Administrator Certificates.
Notice: Delinquency Fee
Effective January 1, 2021, payment of a non-refundable delinquency fee of three hundred dollars ($300) will be required (as specified in regulations) in the following situations:
- When an application for recertification is received after the certificate expiration date
- When an incomplete application for recertification is received prior to the certificate expiration date, but the application does not become complete until after the certificate expiration date
An application to recertify a certificate which has been expired for four or more years will not be accepted, as the applicant must take the appropriate ICTP course again.
Beginning January 1, 2016, only CEU courses approved by CDSS (or Regional Centers, where applicable) may be taken for credit toward administrator certificate renewal requirements. See sections 84064.3(b) (GH), 85064.3(b) (ARF) or 87407(b) (RCFE) of the updated regulations for details.
Resources: Training Vendors
The ACS supports administrators in meeting initial and continuing education certification training requirements through the Core of Knowledge curriculum and the posting of a list of third-party administrator training vendors.
The ACS has a resource for administrators; a comprehensive list of approved training vendors. Administrators can contact the vendor for more information.
Core of Knowledge charts:
ARF, GH, RCFE, STRTP
Note: Mail services that provide delivery confirmation for administrator applications is recommended.