CalFresh Employment and Training (E&T)
The United States Department of Food & Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service is the entity responsible for federal administration of SNAP, known as CalFresh in California. CalFresh E&T is overseen by the CDSS and administered locally through counties. Counties are not mandated to offer a CalFresh E&T program but may choose to do so voluntarily.
Counties have the autonomy to design programs around CalFresh E&T components and activities, population characteristics, in-demand occupations, service providers and available funding sources. Services may be provided directly by the county, through contracted partner entities who provide services on their behalf, and/or through third-party partner entities who are often established and trusted providers already providing services within their communities. The CDSS also contracts directly with third-party partner entities, known as state partners, to provide targeted CalFresh E&T services throughout the state in coordination and with county approval.
The CalFresh E&T framework includes a vision, mission, and strategic goals that help define success and lay the core foundation for CalFresh E&T. These strategic goals are focused around a central vision to increase the employment and earning capacity of CalFresh recipients by maximizing their access to CalFresh E&T, supportive services, skills, and credentialing.
Increase the employment and earning capacity of CalFresh recipients.
Provide more CalFresh recipients with access to CalFresh E&T, supportive services and skills and credentialing.
- Increase job placement, retention, and wages;
- Increase CalFresh E&T participation across a dynamic mix of people, communities and cultures;
- Increase employability by removing barriers to employment;
- Increase skills attainment and credentialing; and
- Lead an efficient and effective customer focused E&T program.
Looking for a Career? We Can Help!
Resources for CalFresh E&T Program Administrators
Funding and Non-Discrimination Statement
- Funding provided by USDA.
- In accordance with Federal law and USDA policy, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.