Educational and Training Vouchers Program (ETV)
Chafee Fact Sheet
The Chafee ETV program provides resources specifically to meet the educational and training needs of Title IV-E eligible foster youth. The Chafee ETV program offers up to $5,000 per year for post-secondary education and training to assist youth with skill development needed to lead independent and productive lives.
To qualify for the Chafee ETV program you must:
- Be a current or former foster youth who was a dependent or ward of the court, living in foster care, between the ages of 16 and 18.
- Youth who are/were in Kin-GAP, a non-related legal guardianship or were adopted, are eligible only if the youth was a dependent or ward of the court, living in foster care, at some point between the ages of 16 and 18.
- A youth who was placed in out-of-home care by a tribe or tribal organization between the ages of 16-18.
- Not have reached your 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year.
- Have not participated in the program for more than 5 years (whether or not consecutive).
This includes enrollment in a post-secondary education or training program and making satisfactory progress toward completion of that program. Youth are required to complete the Chafee Grant Application
and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
forms to apply.
The Financial Aid Office at the school the youth plans to attend is asked to submit a needs analysis so that the award amount can be determined. Once determined, a notification letter is then sent to the youth informing them of the grant award amount that will be disbursed to their Financial Aid Office.
All County Information Notice I-11-11 Chafee Education and Training Voucher (ETV) Program Eligibility Verification Process
This ACIN provides guidance on the Chafee ETV eligibility verification process.
For more information on educational resources, please visit the California Foster Youth Education Resource Hub.
For Additional Information:
Foster Care Support Services Bureau
744 P Street, MS 8-13-78
Sacramento, CA 95814
Contact Your County