Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI)
CAPI is a 100 percent state-funded program designed to provide monthly cash benefits to aged, blind, and disabled non-citizens who are ineligible for Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP) solely due to their immigration status. The Welfare Reform Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-193) eliminated SSI/SSP eligibility for most non-citizens. As a result, most immigrants who were not receiving SSI/SSP in August 1996 are no longer eligible for SSI/SSP. The amount of CAPI benefits is equivalent to the amount of SSI/SSP benefits, except that the payment is reduced by $10 per individual and $20 per couple per month.
This $10 reduction will cease in 2019 (projected for August) due to the reversal of the CalFresh cash-out. At that time, CAPI recipients will be paid the same amount of monthly benefits as similarly situated SSI/SSP recipients.
CAPI recipients may be eligible for Medi-Cal, CalFresh and In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS), but they must file for each benefit separately. There is no automatic eligibility link between CAPI and these other programs.
An individual may be eligible for CAPI if they meet all of the following conditions:
- Are a non-citizen and meet the immigration status criteria in effect for SSI/SSP as of 8/21/96.
- Are 65 or over, blind or disabled.
- Are ineligible for SSI/SSP solely due to their immigration status. (This means they must either apply for SSI/SSP and have a notice of denial based on their immigration status alone, or submit other proof of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration.)
- Must reside in California.
- Their income must be less than the CAPI standards.
- Their resources must be below the allowable limits of $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple.
- They must successfully complete the application process.
Applicants or recipients who were applying for the indigence exception for CAPI but were denied because a sponsor did not provide income and resource information on the SOC 860 may now be eligible due to the reversal in policy in All County Letters 17-33E and 17-70EII. Please contact your county staff for more information.
Translations: Spanish, Armenian and Chinese
- Statute: Welfare and Institutions Code, Div. 9, Part 6, Chap. 10.3, Section 18937 et seq.
- Regulations: Manual of Policies and Procedures, Division 49
- ACL 17-70E III (June 25, 2019)
Errata to ACL No. 17-70 Re: Sponsor Verifications in Indigence Exception Cases
- ACL19-54 (June 3, 2019)
Cash Assistance Program For Immigrants (CAPI) Implementation Of Assembly Bill No. 1957
- ACIN I-35-19 (May 16,2019)
Transmission Of 5/19 Revision Of CAPI Statement Of Facts (SOC 814)
- ACIN I-34-19 (May 16, 2019)
Revision Of Forms SOC 804 And SOC 813 For The Cash Assistance Program For Immigrants (CAPI)
- ACIN I-25-19 (April 17, 2019)
Treatment Of In-Kind Support And Maintenance In The Cash Assistance Program For Immigrants (CAPI)
- ACIN I-24-19 (April 8, 2019)
Cash Assistance Program For Immigrants (CAPI) Clarifying Instructions For The Use Of SOC 455 - State Interim Assistance Reimbursement Authorization
- ACIN I-23-19 (April 8, 2019)
New Payment Standards for the Cash Assistance Programs for Immigrants (CAPI) Effective June 1, 2019
- ACIN I-81-18 (November 27, 2018)
New Payment Standards For The Cash Assistance Program For Immigrants (CAPI) Effective January 2019
- ACL18-87 (July 16, 2018)
Cash Assistance Program For Immigrants (CAPI) Notice Of Denial (NA 691) Revision
- ACL17-33E (June 08, 2018)
Errata To All County Letter No. 17-33 Re: SOC 860 In CAPI Indigence Exception Cases; Revision To SOC 860 - Sponsor’s Statement Of Facts: Income And Resources
- ACL17-70E II (June 08, 2018)
Errata To All County Letter No. 17-70 Re: SOC 860 In CAPI Indigence Exception Cases
- ACL 18-46 (April 24, 2018) Cash Assistance Program For Immigrants (CAPI) Form Revisions (SOC 453, SOC 804, SOC 814)
- ACL 18-07 (January 19, 2018)
Suspension, Reinstatement and Termination of, and Reapplication for, Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI) Benefits; Transmission of Updated CAPI Notice of Change (NA 692)
- ACL 17-70E (December 21, 2017)
Errata To All County Letter No. 17-70 (Indigence Exception Expiration Policy)
- ACL 17-100 (September 20. 2017)
CAPI Indigence Exception Determination Form SOC 813 Update (7/16)
- ACL 17-70 (July 21, 2017)
Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI) Clarification of the Indigence Exception Expiration Policy for Sponsored Immigrants - Revision to SOC 809 Indigence Exception Statement
- ACL17-31 (May 18, 2017)
Application Procedures for the Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI)
- ACL 17-33 (April 17, 2017)
Transmission of Updated Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI) SOC 860 and Clarification of Policy (Sponsor's Statement of Facts: Income and Resources)
- ACL 00-73 (October 17, 2000)
Overpayments/Underpayments In The Cash Assistance Program For Immigrants (CAPI)
For following are CAPI forms, to maintain statewide consistency, please do not alter the wording of any of the CAPI forms.