California Work Opportunity and Responsibility for Kids (CalWORKs) Child Care

Photo of two small girls walking across a bridge

Who is it for?

Current or former CalWORKs cash aid recipients are eligible to receive assistance with paying for child care with a provider of their choice, if they are employed or participating in county approved Welfare-to-Work activities.Pregnant and parenting teens in the Cal-Learn program are also eligible to receive CalWORKs child care. Child care is provided for children through the age of 12, and for exceptional needs and severely disabled children up to age 21. If you are not receiving CalWORKs cash assistance and need help paying for child care, contact the local Child Care Resource and Referral agency (R&R) and/or the Alternative Payment Program (APP) in your county to obtain more information.  

How to Apply:

The program is administered at the county level by the county welfare departments. To apply for services, contact your local county welfare department.

Already Getting Child Care?

If you are currently receiving CalWORKs child care, have questions or concerns about your services or current child care arrangements, contact your Child Care Worker, the Welfare-to-Work or Cal-Learn worker as appropriate.

California Child Care Resource & Referral Programs:

The local Child Care Resource and Referral programs maintain a directory of child care providers, provide resources and information to parents looking for child care.  The local Child Care Resource and Referral agencies also assist potential child care providers in the licensing process including training for providers. The Child Care Resource and Referral also have a toll free telephone number.  If you would like more assistance call 1-800-KIDS-793.

Information and Resources

For more information and resources visit the CalWORKs Child Care Program website. This resource is designed to assist county eligibility workers and other partners who provide services to the public.

If you are a member of the public we would encourage you to contact your county social services agency.